Welcome to the White Whisk! Today I’m excited to share a delicious and easy recipe for Lemon Poppyseed Cake Mix Cookies. This style of cookie is SO simple to create different combinations of cake mixes and mix ins! My family LOVES to make different kind of variations of this cookie around the holidays. You can thank my Mom for introducing me to the concept!
These cookies feel like eating a lemon poppyseed muffin in cookie form. The bright flavor of the lemon paired with the delicate nutty crunch of the poppyseed is heavenly, and the texture of the chunky sugar brings the muffin top like element.
This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
The basic formula for these cake mix cookies is a fairly common one! I like to add 1/3 of a cup flour in the mix as well to thicken it up. I’ll list the base below in case you want to do any of your own mixing and matching.
Cake Mix Cookie Basic Recipe
- 4 oz Butter
- 8 oz Cream cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 Box of Cake Mix
- 1/3 Cup Flour
To begin the cookie dough, cream your butter and cream cheese together until smooth and light. Scrape down the sides of your bowl throughout the process as needed to make sure everything is evenly incorporated!
Next add in your egg and mix again until incorporated.
At this point, you’ll want to add in the lemon oil, and the lemon zest! The link above is the brand of lemon oil that I’ve really enjoyed and used a lot this last year. The flavor is spot on and a the high concentration level reduces the need adjust your recipes to compensate for a bunch of added liquid.
Once oil and zest have been mixed in, pour in your cake mix followed by the 1/3 cup of flour and mix until the dry ingredients are just incorporated.
Finally, add in the poppyseeds and slowly mix until they have been evenly distributed through the dough.
Next, using a large cookie scoop, drop a ball of dough into a bowl containing your chunky sugar and roll it around until coated. I’ll add the link below for the sanding sugar I used.
These cookies will be large, so stick with 6 per tray!
Bake at 350 for 17 minutes or so, rotating the tray halfway through.
If your cookies become a pinch misshapen, you can use a small bowl or slightly larger cookie cutter to nudge it back into place when they are fresh out of the oven! I LOVE this cookie hack!
Bonus Tip: These cookies are DELICIOUS chilled as well! Enjoy!
Lemon Poppyseed Cake Mix Crack Cookies
- 4 oz room temperature butter
- 8 oz block cream cheese
- 1 egg
- ¾ tsp lemon oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon zest (about two large lemons worth)
- 1 box lemon cake mix (15.25 oz)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1½ tbsp poppyseeds
- 2.5 oz chunky sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line two baking sheets with foil or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, (or the bowl of an electric mixer), beat butter until smooth.
- Add in the cream cheese, and beat until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add egg and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add in the lemon oil and lemon zest and mix for about 30 seconds.
- With mixer on a low speed, add in cake mix and flour and beat until just combined. Scrape down sides as you go to ensure even incorporation.
- Add in poppy seeds, and mix until just combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop and drop each ball of cookie dough in the chunky sanding sugar and roll until coated.
- Place no more than 6 cookies on each tray.
- Bake 17 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are just set. Rotate your tray halfway through baking.
- Optional: Chill cookies before serving
Leave a Reply