If you’re looking for a cookie to get you in the Christmas spirit, these decadent Peppermint Hot Cocoa Cake Mix Cookies will do the trick! Introduced to me by my Mom, these cookies have been a staple in my family during Christmas time for years.
This recipe is quick and easy to remember, making it ideal during the busy holiday season. Best served chilled, the texture is almost a cross between a cookie, a brownie, and fudge all in one.
This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
With how straight forward this recipe is, I don’t feel the need to elaborate much on the process! I will say though, if you’re looking for dehydrated marshmallows, there are plenty of options on Amazon. Here is the brand I used.
If you want to experiment with other flavor variations of this recipe,
I’ve listed the base ingredients below.
Cake Mix Cookie Base Recipe
- 1 Block Cream Cheese (8 oz)
- 1 Stick of Butter (4 oz)
- 1 Box Cake Mix (15.25 oz)
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup Flour
See what I mean by easy? The options to create different
combinations of flavors and mix ins are endless!
Peppermint Hot Cocoa Cake Mix Cookies
- 8 oz Block Cream Cheese 1 block
- 4 oz Stick Room Temperature Butter 1 stick
- 1 box Box Chocolate Cake Mix 15.25 oz
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 8 Crushed Standard Size Candy Canes Set aside 2 for Garnish
- 3/4 Cup Dehydrated Marshmallows Set aside 3 TBS for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, (or the bowl of an electric mixer), beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in room temperature butter, and beat until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add egg and beat until fully incorporated.
- With mixer on a low speed, add in cake mix and flour and beat until just combined. Scrape down sides as you go to ensure even incorporation.
- Add in 6 crushed candy canes, and 2/3 cup of the marshmallows, and mix until just combined.
- Using a medium size cookie scoop, scoop out 10 cookies per baking sheet leaving a few inches of space in between.
- Use the remaining crushed candy canes and marshmallows for garnish by pressing them on top of the cookies.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are just set.
- Immediately after removing from the oven, the cookies will probably be wonky shaped. If you want them to be in perfect circles, take an upside down bowl or cup (or cookie cutter) that is larger than the cookie, place it over the cookie so it’s touching the tray, and swirl it around the cookie to scoot it back into shape.
- When trays are cool enough to handle, transfer to fridge to finish chilling. Serve cold. Enjoy!